Friday, April 15, 2011

London!


Right - so.

We hadn't set an alarm this morning - assuming we would continue our schedule of waking around 8 or 9 and getting up and doing stuff.

We - obviously - underestimated how exhausted we were...

And woke up around noon.

So... today was kind of bust - we had Wicked at 7:30, and still no plan for the rest of the day (foolishly thinking we were going to be up and about and planning this morning).

We got up... slowly. Showered again, Ari took awhile putting her face on while I lazed about on the bed reading the paper, and ended up heading towards Piccadilly Circus.


Hope you're reading this Manon!
Got there, sat down at a little outdoor cafe and had margarita pizza (not like I've ever had it before though), delicious iced teas, and tirimisu and an almond pastry - all delicious. People watched and enjoyed the atmosphere for probably around an hour (one thing I've noticed about not having my cell phone on me all the time, I tend to lose track of time more easily) and then I decided I wanted to see Westminster Abbey, which we were one tube stop away from...


So we did. Only it closed at 3:30 (and it was around 5 at that point) so that wasn't going to happen. Saw the London Eye, and Big Ben, and the Abbey, and loooooots of tourists - all of it fun.


Headed back to the room - and got dressed to go to Wicked (makeup included)... when we realized it was 6:45. Thinking we were already cutting it close, we headed out (one of us in heels. This would come back to haunt us.) About 20 feet outside the hotel door when I realized how much slower Ari was going to be in heels, we traded shoes. (Admittedly, she does have a point. I walk fast, AND have longer legs than she does - so it makes sense I cover more ground. I'm also impatient, so it was better for me to wear them and be impatient with myself.) We got to the station and asked for directions to the Apollo Theatre.

To make a long and tedious story short, we were given the wrong directions.

Very. Wrong. Directions.

At the other end, we got the right directions. It's now around 7:15.

We get headed the right way, and my feet can no longer take it - so Ari and I switch back shoes.

We get to the right end station, and get out of the station... and have no idea which way to go. Eventually, figure it out (glimpsing the HUGE 'Wicked' sign just as we start to ask a cop for directions). End up running (me in flats, Ari in her sock feet) for the theatre where the very experienced staff take one look at us, find our tickets, and get us seated as soon as they can. All in all? We only missed about 30 minutes of the 3+ hour show.



And it was a FABULOUS show. I finally understand why so many people have had Wicked mania over the years- it really is great. Limped back to the hotel, debated whether to go out again and after trying to stand up again decided against it - ordered in Indian food and watched silly game shoes till I headed down here to write this all up for you.

So there.

Our first day in London - exciting no?

I'm buying a map from the nice concierege before I head upstairs for bed.

Tomorrow - train to Brighton, day in Brighton and night in Brighton-area (our first couchsurf!).

Tune back in to see how it goes :D

No comments:

Post a Comment