Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Bath

WOHOO!!! So guess what everyone? Carolyn and I made it! It was an absurdly long flight in which we kind of lost our minds. When I say lost our minds, I mean we didn't sleep and so it got VERY silly as we got more and more exhausted.  We took update photos hourly... here is how it went...


Before Even leaving... In Ari's house.
About to take off... still pretty enthusiastic...
Hour one... Doing awesome!
Hour two... a little hysterical... but only a little...
Hour three... loosing steam.
Hour four... got the blankies out...
Hour five... Carolyn is turning into a ghost...
Hour five... Ari praying to God we get there soon...

Hour six... Carolyn caved...
Hour seven... can't even summon enough strength to properly sass the camera...

Hour eight... slekgnaegflkjan!!!!
Hour nine... okay, we've almost landed... we can do this! (Probably).
Nope... No we can't.


Landed in London about an hour early and got through customs pretty quickly... It was a little silly going through customs as well. The woman who was questioning us had really hard questions and Carolyn who had been awake like 24+ hours at that point was just like, whaaa? So I had to take over the questions. Fortunately, I was somewhat coherent so it wasn't too much of a problem.

Got through and then immediately retrieved our bags from the luggage carousel. It was about 12 in the afternoon London time and the car we hired to take us to Bath wasn't scheduled to come until 3 p.m. Time to break out the international phone and give them a call.

Successfully managed to get a hold of the company and within forty minutes the car would be there to pick us up. Heading out to the pick up area, Carolyn and I plopped down and waited.



A little fresh air did us good...
Except we can't remember how to aim the camera...
yikes too far...
There we go!!! 
Waiting for our car outside Heathrow...
 Only slightly crazy at this point...

A black Mercedes came to pick us up.

 Our driver and our car!!!
In the car, so happy to be on the way to Bath and soon (hopefully) to bed!

It was... AWESOME. Really, there is no other word for it. I felt like a celebrity having the chauffer open the door for us and then drive us out to our location. It was wonderful.

The English country side is really a sight to behold. It's so beautiful right now with field after field of bright yellow blossoms.


The drive wasn't too long. We were both so exhausted at this point but I didn't want to sleep in case I slept too long and messed up my sleep schedule. Carolyn tried to fight it too, but having been awake a significant amount of time longer, she dozed a bit.

Bath is the most beautiful place. It's so breathtaking and just magical. I'm so glad we planned a visit here.

Driver dropped us off at the Hostel and we proceeded to check in.

I love/hate this hostel. Mostly love with only really a sprinkle of annoyance. The door you enter into is a narrow hallway with step ups randomly making it difficult to navigate with a rolly back pack while sleep walking. Carolyn led the way up one, two, three, four (?!) flights of stairs that just kept winding up and up this narrow building. Most of the doorways have steps, which is something to look out for but other than that it is so fun. I heard drunk people stumbling up last night and I can't imagine how they managed to get to their rooms in one piece.
 We were both soo tired we don't remember me taking this photo...
 Our beds... Carolyn on top, me on bottom.
Nifty mirrors!



So once we checked in and got situated in the 6 person dorm we're sleeping in, we headed out for a quick walk about before deciding food was in order. Ate in the pub that is below the hostel and found the food was really good, all fried but delicious the same.

Quick view of Bath from our door...
Trying to read the menu...
Not even attempting at reading...
Headed out on a longer walk about around the city but by this time I was lightheaded and dizzy with lack of sleep. Carolyn, who had gotten her 5th or 6th wind was good and had to lead me most of the way. Stopped and bought a towel because of course, we both forgot one, and explored before both deciding that it was time to head back and go to sleep. 
Beautiful beautiful Bath... 
 :D
I'm a sucker for churches...


I stopped at the one bathroom in the hostel before going to the room and when I came out of the stall, I was startled by a guy asking me where the paper towels were. This was new for me. I never had experienced really, a co-ed bathroom. Upon inspection of the room, I told him he'd probably have to wipe his hands on his pants at which he gave me a disgusted look.

I wish we had been able to sleep later but really it was 5:30 p.m. when we both passed out.

Woke up at 9:30 and thought for some reason it was the morning (I think it was because of the bright street lights outside). Carolyn had to explain to me that we had only been sleeping for four hours. That bummed me out. I was hungry and awake and ready to explore. Turned over in bed to get up but instead passed out again.

Woke up at 3 and was ready to get up and walk around. Carolyn was up too and we both agreed another three hours of sleep or so and we would get up. Carolyn fell back to sleep, I couldn't. I laid there until 5:30, zoning in and out of sleep. By 6:30 I couldn't lay there anymore and got up to shower.

Let's talk about the shower for a moment. Carolyn took one yesterday and had warned me about it, but I just wasn't prepared. The shower, while clean and simple, is tiny and there is no hot or cold option. Just PUSH. A little button that when pressed shoots out ten seconds of FREEZING water. I thought I was going to go into shock it was so cold.

I quickly learned that if you kept pressing the button, it would go longer than ten seconds and it would actually start to heat up. It is not really a get clean shower, but more of a rinse off the smell shower. I think I'll have to wait until London to get in a good proper shower.

It's 7:30 a.m. now and Carolyn is still asleep, though I'm thinking about waking her up soon so we can go get breakfast. I'm starving.

Carolyn will probably post next so see you all later!!

p.s. There is either a pigeon or a dying cat outside the window on the stairs where I'm sitting or in the wall.. I cannot tell. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment